If you or someone in your household has life support equipment, we want to help you be as safe as possible! Registering your home with us is important so that we can give you life support protection.
To be eligible for life support protection, you or someone at your property must rely on life support equipment. If you are unsure if this is you, just call us on 1800 750 750 and we can discuss your equipment type with you in a little more detail.
Registering for life support protection is easy and only takes a few steps:
- Contact us on 1800 750 750 and let us know there is a need for life support protection at your property – we will then send you a Life Support Pack (which includes a Medical Confirmation Form);
- You will be temporarily registered on our life support register;
- We will inform your distributor, or alternatively, you can contact your distributor directly; and
- You and your medical practitioner will need to fill out the Medical Confirmation Form. Once complete, just send the form back to us by the due date so we can ensure that your life support protection continues to be registered
We understand sometimes it may be difficult to return the form by the due date, which is why we offer due date extensions. If you would like to arrange an extension, please contact us as soon as possible. Keep in mind that failure to return the form may result in deregistration and loss of life support protection at the property, so please keep us in the loop!
Life support protection does not guarantee an uninterrupted energy supply.
There may be times your supply will be interrupted due to planned works for maintenance or upgrades of the meter, the network or scheduled planned upgrades by your distributor.
With life support protection, you will be given notice of a planned disruption. Here’s what happens:
- If it’s us - If your energy supply is interrupted by us, unless we agree otherwise, we will write to you at least four business days in advance, to help you prepare for the interruption.
- If it’s your distributor - If your energy supply is interrupted by your distributor, they are required to notify you at least four business days in advance of the interruption.
For enquiries relating to planned interruptions, please call 1800 959 780, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Sometimes, things don’t go as they should and you end up with no power due to an unplanned interruption.
Any unforeseen events could cause this to happen, including:
- extreme weather conditions; or
- accidents that damage your local distributor's infrastructure
If you or someone in your household has life support equipment and is unexpectedly left with no energy supply, the first thing you must do is contact local distributor and explain that the property requires a supply of energy for life support equipment. To help in the event of an unplanned interruption we recommend you have an action plan handy.
Here is what you should consider when making an action plan:
- Consolidate all necessary phone numbers in writing and secure them in a safe place, including: your doctor, nearest hospital, an emergency contact and your local distributor and energy retailer;
- Ensure back up batteries to your life support equipment are always charged;
- Ensure any back up oxygen tanks are full;
- Ensure you have a power bank that is fully charged at all times for your mobile phone; and
- Talk to your medical practitioner for any additional advice that applies to your life support equipment.